Baby girls hands and feet

Little Bruiser is growing!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday 20 October 2011

Countdown

Damien gave me my Ovidrel shot last night - not sure what we did differently, but this time it was far from pleasant :( Most important thing is that it's over though!

On that note: I have always meant this blog to be a diary of a sort, a means of cataloguing my journey if you will, and therefore I always wanted to write it exactly the way I feel it. After reading blogs of my fellow surrogates though, I am beginning to feel like a major whiner! Here I am complaining about one shot, where the majority of surrogates elsewhere do fresh transfers and inject themselves with all sorts of different drugs for months on end... I don't think I could do that, I am no good with pain, and I admire their strength and bravery. Here's to you!

Transfer next Thursday, exact time TBA. 'Third time lucky' is my mantra. This has GOT to be it!

PS: If you find yourself asking, quite reasonably, why the hell I have decided to be a surrogate of all things if I am not good with pain, you have a good question! Of course I know there is pain involved, I've been through it twice. I managed my first labour without drugs, and gave in with the second one after 24 hours. I know in my mind, I remember, that it is horrible and excruciating. And while I completely understand that drugs are acceptable and basically a part of the deal in this day and age, I also know that if we get to that point, I will probably try to brave it and go without anyway.

Does this seem inconsistent? Totally! Confusing? Hell yeah... For what it's worth, I think there is a method to this madness though :). I have not read any recent research, but before I had my first one, I read lots. Heaps. And generally, my impression was that less drugs during birth equals less potential trouble for the baby. That is what I did (or tried to do) for my children, and I could not with good conscience do any less for any other children that might find themselves temporarily in my keeping. I'm probably stupid, right? Anyway, end of ramble. Cross this bridge when we get there. And note that I'm saying 'when', not 'if'... positive thinking, positive thinking, positive thinking...

1 comment:

Freya said...

It all makes sense to me. The pain of childbirth, though excrutiating, is different than choosing to go in for a broken leg for no good reason. And I do remember that the day after you had kid #1 you confessed to not remembering the strength of the pain.
When it all happens, I'm sure you will have great support, and that seems to be the best measure of how well someone can cope.

Good luck for Third Time Lucky! (Gamma?)