At yesterday's ultrasound, we found out that there was only one additional day of growth, so the little one probably left us late last week. He or she is still to make their grand exit, and hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later. Our doctor has booked me in tentatively for a D&C for next Friday in case nothing happens by then, but it is up to me to decide if I want to keep that appointment if necessary, or if I choose to wait it out for a little longer. Here's hoping that it happens naturally and soon.
I have to say that in the end I was actually quite relieved when the sonographer informed us that she couldn't see a heartbeat any longer. The suspense and stress of the last week have been just too intense, and the worst outcome that I could imagine was some growth, slow heartbeat, and another week or more of limbo and worrying. This way, at least, we know that everything is the way it should be - according to all sorts of research that I could get my hands on within the last week, given the indications, the LT would probably have had some serious problems if they lasted to full term and were born.
So. Here we are. This is (almost) the end of this part of our journey. Sad, upsetting, but a conclusion of sorts anyway.
And we can move on. Towards better tomorrows :)